How To Spot Mold In Your New Home & What To Do About It

Most homeowners have encountered molds in their homes at least once. Molds have become very common in many buildings and homes. In fact, over 50% of houses in the US have mold issues while. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at least 45 million buildings in the country have unhealthy levels of molds.

Molds grow in places that provide them a good environment such as wet and dark areas. They can enter your home through your doors, windows, vents, and HVAC system. Worse is, molds can grow and multiply within 48 hours. Molds will not just cause damage to your home and belongings; it can also put you and your family’s health at risk. 

How to spot molds in your new home?

Molds are a major problem experienced in many homes in the US. Unfortunately, they can be really undetectable; unless it has already affected a large area in the house. As a smart homeowner, it is important to identify the signs of a mold infestation in your home. Protect your home and your family by knowing these mold warning signs in your home.

  • Musty odor

Most types of molds produce a musty smell especially if it is coming from your heating and air-conditioning system. Your HVAC system can be a great spot for molds to grow as it is damp and warm. 

  • Dark spots on the ceilings or walls

If there is a leak on your roof or a crack on your wall, then more likely that can also drip from it. If the leak or crack is not fixed immediately, molds can start to grow on it. Your walls or ceiling may start to discolor —- it could be white, gray, or black threadlike discoloration. 

  • Visible mold spores

The most obvious signs of mold growth are those that are visible to the naked eye such as mold spores on the wet areas of your home. You may attempt to remove them with a soap and sponge, but these don’t help much as molds are a very persistent creation.  

  • You experience symptoms of cold or flu that just won’t go away

Molds can trigger allergies and other respiratory problems. If you start experiencing symptoms of colds or flu that doesn’t go away, then it could be caused by mold issues. 

What to do about molds in your home?

When dealing with molds in your home, make sure to use protective gear like rubber gloves, eye goggles and masks to keep you from inhaling them. You can start cleaning and disinfecting surfaces; then make sure to dry them well. Throw away items that are no longer deemed usable and wash fabric items such as your beddings, curtains, drapes, and others.

The best solution to keep molds away from your home is to keep it as dry as possible. If you are experiencing water damage or flooding, call a professional water damage restoration service right away to help you deal with the problem. Water restoration companies are experienced enough to tackle flooding and water damage quickly; thus, preventing mold growth and its damage. 

Call now!