Mold can be anywhere. It can be found outside, inside, and even in commercial spaces. Though mold is small, it can easily grow. It can produce spores that float around in the air and can spread the mold throughout outdoor or indoor spaces. Mold typically grows in wet or persistently damp indoor areas and can cause structural damage, rot wood, and damaged drywall.
If you find mold inside your commercial space, it should be removed immediately before it causes serious problems and interrupts your business. Apart from structural damage, mold can affect any of your employees with conditions like severe allergies or asthma. If your employees end up sick and then end up missing work, your business may become less productive and it may cause a plethora of other inconveniences which may end up costing you a lot of money.
What are the types of molds?
In order to promptly deal with the mold, it is important that you know the most common types of mold which includes:
- Alternaria – This type of mold propagates outdoors but can be carried indoors by the wind.
- Aspergillus – This type of mold is found indoors and is toxic. It can cause damage when it is inhaled.
- Cladosporium – This is not as deadly as aspergillus but is known to cause asthma attacks.
- Penicillium – This is easy to spot because it is either green or yellow. It is toxic if it is inhaled in large quantities.
- Stachybotrys – This is known as black mold. This type of mold can cause structural damage to properties and produce a foul odor.
These types of mold can also be found in homes with untrolled moisture issues. The best way to prevent mold is to monitor for leaks and patch them up immediately. If you don’t see any leaks in a moist area, make sure that the area is properly ventilated. Proper ventilation will ensure that the areas don’t accumulate humidity and give mold an ideal environment for growth.
Even if you take these precautions, mold can still find a way to grow in your indoor space. If you develop mold in your home or commercial building, you can either remove the mold yourself, call a company to remove it for you, or do mold remediation. Mold remediation removes the mold but also addresses the cause of the mold outbreak so that it won’t happen again. If you hire a mold expert to remove the mold and perform a remediation, they will inspect all visual spaces and even spaces you didn’t consider such as any crawlspaces.
It’s important to know and practice preventative measures to prevent mold outbreaks in your indoor spaces. If your mold problem is recurring, a remediation can help solve your problems and ensure you that the mold won’t grow back.